Non-Emergency Reporting Procedures

If you have concerns, questions, or comments and are not sure what to do next, start by talking to someone who is trained, experienced, and dedicated to helping you.

Some options for general, non-emergency reporting:

  1. Report to your supervisor
  2. Report to a specific department (Campus Safety, Campus Care, Student Life, etc…)
  3. Follow the additional steps listed below

Harassment or Discrimination:

If you experience any type of harassment or discrimination you may speak to an Ombudsperson or take the steps below. The University will not tolerate retaliation of any kind against you based upon your allegations regarding harassment or discrimination.

If you may do so safely, address the problem yourself. Inform the offending person that his or her behavior is unwelcome, offensive, or inappropriate. You may do this one-on-one or in the company of a trusted friend or colleague. Tell the offender to stop the behavior and do so without apologizing. State how the behavior is affecting you but do not engage in a lengthy conversation about it (you do not have to convince the offender and the offender does not have to agree with you). Or, if approaching the offender feels unsafe or awkward, write a letter. Either way, clearly communicate what the offending behavior is, tell the offender that it has to stop, and outline what you would like to happen now (see attachment A at the end of this handbook). If the problem is resolved satisfactorily, no further action may be necessary.

Seeking Help:

If you are unable to resolve the problem as above, you should inform University personnel of your complaint. This should be done as soon as possible after the incident.

  • If you are a student, you may meet directly with the Dean of Students or you may tell a resident assistant and have him or her pass the information along.
  • If you are an employee, you may report to your supervisor. If for any reason you do not wish to report to your immediate supervisor, you may report to any other employee working in a supervisory capacity, including the supervisor of your immediate superior.
  • You should be informed that any University employee advised of discrimination, harassment, or assault is required to immediately report this information to specific University personnel, including the President (or an individual designated by the President) and the Director of Security. If you are uncertain whether to report to an employee or supervisor, you may wish to consult with an Ombudsperson (see above).


As part of the University’s initial investigation, you will be asked to meet with one or two University representatives and provide a written account of the incident and the desired solution. You will be asked to provide copies of letters, texts, etc. from the accused and strongly encouraged to document further communication from him or her. The accused will be informed of the complaint and will be asked to provide a written account as well. An investigation team will be brought together to investigate your complaint and determine if sanctions should be imposed. If you are an employee, the investigation team will be appointed by the President. If you are a student the investigation team will be appointed by the Vice President for Student Life. You will not have to meet with this team directly but will be represented by your written account and initial interviews with the University representative.

You and the accused are entitled to the same opportunities to have others present during an institutional investigation. Both you and the accused will be informed of the final determination of any institutional discipline resulting from an alleged offense.


If you are a student and the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may appeal according to the Student Life Appeals Process in the Student Handbook. If you are an employee you may appeal according to the Appeals Process in the Employee Handbook.

Please keep in mind that allegations of discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment, and sexual assault are potentially very serious to the person or persons charged, and while such allegations should be made whenever warranted, they should be made accurately and truthfully. As members of the body of Christ, we are commanded to live lives that are above reproach. This is especially true for those in leadership. Living above reproach is defined as having relationships that are marked by maturity, respect, propriety, discernment, and appropriate boundaries. Students and employees of Corban University are expected to pursue and display this kind of maturity in all of their relationships and take an active role in helping others to do the same.


• Both men and women may contact the 24 hour hotline at the Center for Hope and Safety: 503.378.1572. Information is also available on their website:

• You may also contact the Salem Police. Their non-emergency number is 503.588.5032.

Reporting an Arrest:

If an accepted or enrolled student is arrested for any reason while affiliated with the University, they must report this to the Dean of Students or Director of Campus Safety within 24 hours of the arrest. University personnel will work cooperatively with the student and law enforcement investigators to determine whether or not the student will be able to remain as a member of the student body and if so, under what conditions.