Community Engagement Internship
Job Title: Community Engagement Internship
Contact Information: Paige Gorry at 503-581-1732 x 348 or email@example.com
Address: 4080 Reed Road SE #150, Salem, Oregon 97302
Web Site: http://www.shangrilacorp.org/
Job Location: Salem, OR
Job Type: Internship
Application Materials Needed:
- Cover Letter
- Shangri-La's mission is to serve people with disabilities and disadvantages so they may recognize and achieve their full potential.
- The Community Engagement Intern will provide volunteer management, communications, public relations, event planning, graphic design and fundraising support relating to the daily operations of Shangri-La's Community Engagement Department to ensure that Shangri-La has the resources needed to fulfill its mission.
- Support Shangri-La's community engagement efforts as a means of ensuring Shangri-La has the resources needed (people, things and funds) to fulfill its mission.
- Assist with fundraising and friend-raising events and appeals, specifically the Better Together Luncheon held in May.
- Represent Shangri-La at outreach activities as needed.
- Prepare stakeholder correspondence.
- Input data into relationship management software.
- Assist with aspects of the volunteer management cycle to ensure valued volunteer placements and meaningful volunteer experiences.
- Assist with identifying and planning volunteer opportunities and projects.
- Participate in volunteer recruitment activities.
- Support the in-take and orientation of volunteers.
- Assist with volunteer data input and management.
- Assist with the creation, production and maintence of Shangri-La's print and digital collateral.
- Actively participate in all steps of the creative process for visual communications including conceptualization and design of graphic applications.
- Assist with the creation and distribution of press releases.
- Write, edit, and proof copy for print and electronic publications.
- Work cross-departmentally to assist programs and departments with objectives and activities.
- Complete all activities associated with internship's learning objectives.
- Role model positive and appropriate dress, hygiene, communication and interpersonal skills while at the service site.
- Show up on time and prepared for volunteer service.
- Reports volunteer service hours to volunteer coordinator weekly using an online system.
- Advocates for your own learning; ask questions and seek to understand.
Schedule & Duration
- Duration: January - March OR January - June
- Schedule: 12-16 hours per week during regular office hours (Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., occasional weekend and evening hours).
- Duration and hours flexible and negotiable.
- Volunteer agrees to attend all scheduled service as identified during volunteer's orientation.
- Volunteer agrees to notify volunteer coordinator of any schedule changes and give notice as to when he/she plans to exit the service opportunity.
- Volunteer orientation
- Blood borne pathogen and abuse reporting training
- Free CPR/First Aide Training (based on seat availability)
- Understand and incorporate Shangri-La's vision, mission, values, policies and procedures during volunteer service and as a respresentative of Shangri-La.
- Uphold all policies and procedures outlined in volunteer handbook.
- Maintain confidentiality as required.
- Uphold Shangri-La's safety expectations and practices, and assure worksite safety is maintained.
- Must have experience or motivation to perform and be able to sucessfully complete the essential functions of volunteer opportunity.
- Requires the continuous and effective use of interpersonal relationship and communication skills.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Pursuing a degree in communication studies, non-profit administration, public relations, media studies, or other related degree.
- Tech savvy with extensive familarity using Microsoft Office; experience with Adobe Creative Suite is ideal.
- Professional demeanor in both personality and appearance.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Strong critical thinking skills, attention to detail, work ethic and ability to work independently.