Job Title: Children's Minister
Employer: Singing Hills Christian Church
Contact Information: Search Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Location: Hillsboro, OR
The Current Situation: We have a wide range of volunteers currently assisting and leading the ministry work. The Children’s Minister would be stepping in to oversee and assist in the recent restructuring of the Children’s programming and help in providing vision for future growth. There is currently an average attendance of 20 Children of our Sunday morning Kids Discovery and 30 in our Wednesday Kid Club program. We have several active volunteers who serve faithfully.
The Need: We need the applicant to organize and communicate well with people. They should have a good grasp of the various aspects of Children’s programming and be able to assist and teach in a wide range of ages as the need arises. We need someone who can inject excitement and enthusiasm for the children but also understand the importance of communicating to parents. The Children’s Minister will be working closely with the Lead Minister to create a dynamic atmosphere and vision for the future.
These are the areas that would need to be overseen:
- Wee Worship (2yrs – 3yrs during our 10:30 am worship service)
- Volunteers: Checking in weekly with the current volunteers to make sure they have all they need for teaching and lesson planning.
- Kids Discovery: (K – 5th grade during our 10:30 am worship service)
- Organize and Help Teach: There will be a main worship time that you would be hands on with and most likely leading. Then the kids are transitioned into activity and class time. The responsibilities will be to organize the current volunteers, aid in the teaching as needed and be the point person for communication and direction.
- Kids Club: (K – 5th grade mid-week outreach program)
- Volunteers: The Children’s Minister should get to know what the volunteers need and make sure all the volunteer positions are filled on a weekly basis.
- Lesson Writing and Organizing service projects: We teach in “blocks” during our Wednesday program because we want to be intentional about outreach and service after a teaching block is finished. (i.e. We teach on a topic for 4-6 weeks then use the following week for application.) This role may include writing some teaching block lessons and organizing the service or outreach project that would coincide with the lesson.
- There are a number of annual events that SHCC kids have done. (ie: Family Sundays, VBS, Night Light, End of the year bowling, movie nights…etc.) The Children’s Minister would lead and organize the events that have proven fruitful and also have the freedom to make adjustments to allow for new and creative ways to engage our families and community.
- Passionate about children growing in their faith and accepting Christ.
- Genuinely love and enjoy being around children and their families.
- Have the ability to establish good rapport with parents and make it a goal to invest time with the children by attending their big events and visiting the families as the opportunity arises.
- Self-Motivated and timely with a team mindedness in their leadership and attend all required meetings.
- Be able to handle the responsibility of administration including the management of the teacher rotation and fill-ins.
- To be flexible with ministry needs and people.
- $35,000 – $40,000 per year
- 2 weeks of paid personal leave
- 8 paid holidays
- 1 Week of paid personal growth and development approved by Lead Minister (i.e. conference, mentoring, etc.)
- Health & Retirement benefit stipend is provided.
Questions for Potential Candidates:
Instructions: Please expand on the following beliefs. Explain why you do or do not believe the following to be true.
About God - We believe there is one God eternally existing in three persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. He is the Creator and Sustainer of all things. - Genesis 1; John 1
About Jesus - God put on flesh in the form of Jesus. As Creator of all things, Jesus lived a sinless life on earth, died for our sins and arose victoriously from the dead to live & reign on our behalf as the only means to a relationship with God (John 1:1-5, 14; Rom. 5:8; 1 Cor. 15:1-8; Eph. 1:20-21; Phil. 2:5-11; 1 Tim. 2).
About the Holy Spirit -We believe in the ongoing ministry of the Holy Spirit, active in creation, revelation, and redemption. The Spirit's indwelling presence in believers expresses Itself in giftedness, fruitfulness, and maturity in Christ. - Genesis 1; I Corinthians 12; John 14
About the Bible - The Bible is the inspired Word of God, and it is the highest authority for all believers as it defines our moral framework individually and as a local church (Acts 2:42; 2 Tim. 3:16; 2 Peter 1:19-21).
About Salvation - Every person has worth to God (2 Peter 3:9), but “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). Those accepting Jesus as Lord & Savior must understand that salvation is initiated by God’s GRACE (Ephesians 2:8). Our response to Him to be rescued from the punishment of our sins is multifold:
Through FAITH in Jesus as our sole Savior (Ephesians 2:8-9)
With REPENTANCE to Jesus, which involves a submissive change of mind toward God (Acts 2:38; 3:20)
With VERBAL CONFESSION to God & others of Jesus’ Lordship before & after conversion (Romans 10:9)
At BAPTISM (water immersion) into the name of Jesus and the Triune Community for a new start on life (Matt. 28:18-20; John 3:1-16; Acts 2:36-39; 16:25-34; Romans 6:3-6; Titus 3:3-8; 1 Peter 3:18-22)
In the power of God’s SPIRIT TO SERVE others and boldly proclaim God’s message of hope in one’s life (John 14:15-31; Acts 4:23-31; Romans 8; 1 Corinthians 2:6-16; Ephesians 6:13-20; 1 Peter 3:15)
With OBEDIENCE to Jesus’ commission to make disciples of all people (Matthew 28:16-20; Romans 12:1-2).
About the Church - The Church is a living organism made up of people of common faith in Christ Jesus. It is God’s community of faith, existing to disciple people to Christ by evangelizing them and equipping them to participate in expanding God’s Kingdom (Acts 2:42; 4:32-35; Eph. 2:6; 3:10-11; 4:11-16).
About Christ's Reappearing - Jesus Christ will one day become visible to all, bringing life to those who have died in Christ, and gathering them with those still alive in Christ to be forever with Him in God’s heaven (Acts 1:1-11; 3:21; 1 Cor. 11:23-26; 1 Thes. 4:13-18; 2 Peter 3:10-13).
Communion - We celebrate the Lord’s Supper every week and welcome all followers of Jesus to participate. (Luke 22:14-20).