Gary W. Derickson
|Professor of Biblical Studies and Greek, Department Chair: Bible and Theology|
B.S. Texas A&M University
M.S. Texas A&M University
Th.M. Dallas Theological Seminary
Ph.D. Dallas Theological Seminary
- "The Relationship of Endogenous Abscisic Acid to Peach Chilling Requirement, Bloom Date, and Applied Gibberellic Acid," HortScience, 13:6 (1978): 694-96. Co-authored with Dr. H. H. Bowen;
- "Engineering for Transportability's Role in the ILS Effort," Translog, 12:7 (July 1981): 14-15;
- "What is the Message of 1 John?" Bibliotheca Sacra. 150 (January-March 1993): 89-105;
- "Viticulture's Contribution to the Interpretation of John 15:1-6." Bibliotheca Sacra. 153 (January-March 1996): 34-52;
- "The Cessation of Healing Miracles in Paul's Ministry." Bibliotheca Sacra. 155 (July-September 1998): 299-315;
- Study Notes on 1-3 John in The Nelson's Complete Study Bible. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1997;
- Study Notes on 1-3 John in The Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Commentary. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1999;
- "Incarnational Explanation for Jesus' Subjection in the Eschaton." In Looking into the Future: Evangelical Studies in Eschatology. ETS Studies Series. David W. Baker, editor (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 2000).
- The Disciplemaker: What Matters Most to Jesus. Co-authored with Dr. Earl D. Radmacher. Salem, OR.: Charis Press, 2001
- Matthean Priority/Authorship and Evangelicalism’s Boundary” The Master’s Seminary Journal. 14:1 (Spring 2003): 87-103.
- Viticulture and John 15:1-6” The Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society. 18:34 (Spring 2005): 23-43.
- Commentary Sneak Peak: 1 Peter 3:18-21 by Gary Derickson,” Grace in Focus 21: 2 (March/April 2006): 4.
- Matthew’s Chiastic Structure and its Dispensational Implications.” Bibliotheca Sacra. 163 (October-December 2006): 423-37.
- The New Testament Church as a Mystery.” Bibliotheca Sacra. 166 (October-December 2009): 436-445.
- First Peter” in The Grace New Testament Commentary, Vol. 2. Robert N. Wilkin, editor (Denton, TX: Grace Evangelical Society, 2010.
- The ‘How’ of the Spirit’s Filling.” Dedicated 1 (February 2011).
- First, Second, and Third John. The Evangelical Exegetical Commentary. Bellingham, WA: Logos, 2012.
- Hermeneutical Issues of Views on Creation.” Dedicated (Fall 2013).
- Ineffectual But Not Missing: The Figurative Use of 'Dead' in New Testament Literature” in Dedicated (Fall 2014)
Presentations at Meetings and Seminars Presented
- Paper: The Danger of Misinterpretation: The Impact of a Theoretical Historical Background on the Interpretation of the Johannine Epistles” at the 2014 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society (General Epistles Consultation Group).
- Paper: The Johannine Concept of Abiding as Developed in His Epistles” at the 2013 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society (General Epistles Consultation Group).
- Paper: New Testament Mystery Excludes the Church from the Old Testament” at the 2008 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society.
- Paper: Ineffectual but Not Missing: The Figurative Use of ‘Dead’ in New Testament Literature” at the 2007 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society.
- Workshop (two sessions): 1 Peter” at the 2006 meetings of the Grace Evangelical Society.
- Paper: The Chiastic Structure of Matthew and its Implications for Dispensational Eschatology” at the 2005 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society
- Paper: Old Testament Saints in New Testament Times: Their Impact on our Interpretation of the Gospels and Acts” at the 2004 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society
- Paper: Jesus’ Omniscience: Looking into the Hearts of People in John 2-6” at the 2003 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society
- Paper: The Meaning of John 20:31” at the 2002 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society
- Paper: On Evangelicalism’s Boundary: Denial of Matthean Priority and Authorship” at the 2001 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society
- Paper: Incarnational Explanation for Jesus’ Subjection in the Eschaton” at the 1999 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society
- Paper: The Role of God’s Discipline of the Church in General Revelation” at the 1997 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society
- Paper: Hermeneutical Blunders in the Lordship Salvation Debate” and Evidence from Paul of the Cessation of Spiritual Gifts” (2 separate papers) at the 1996 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society
- Paper: Viticulture’s Contribution to the Interpretation of John 15:1-6” at the 1994 meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society
Texas State Farmer, Future Farmers of America, 1971; Gamma Sigma Delta, Honor Society of Agriculture, 1976; Distinguished Graduate, Transportation Officers Basic Course 3-77 (Top Graduate), 1977; Donald K. Campbell Award in Bible Exposition, D.T.S., 1993.
Family: Wife, Rebekah; son, Ian (1992) Personal Notes: Writes fiction (fantasy and science fiction). "I enjoy seeing students grow spiritually and make life changing decisions to follow Christ."
Member of: Evangelical Theological Society, Grace Evangelical Society, Rolling Hills Baptist Church where he teaches an adult Sunday School class.